Originally, the castle was a building with a square floor plan enclosing a central courtyard, and that included a tower and a Gothic chapel surrounded by a moat. In 1895 the Arròspide family commissioned Cayetano Buïgas —an architect who was well known at the time for his design of the monument to Christopher Columbus in Barcelona—to adapt the building for use as a second residence. His adaptation respected the original structure while covering the building with a fantastic decoration inspired by Romanesque and Gothic architecture.

The Sant Marçal church conserves its Gothic door and the keystones of the vaults embedded in its façade, one of which includes the sculpted image of the Saint. Of the outer wall that surrounded the castle, the base is still in place, as well as a generous visible stretch of the moat, which is landscaped.

Over the past 30 years a great effort has been made to restore the exterior and interior of building, and to expand and improve its gardens and ponds. José Luis Vives, a specialist in restoring castles, as well as numerous master craftsmen, have participated in the restoration work. The prestigious landscape gardener Luis González Camino is responsible for the redesign of the garden.